By: Joy McCarthy Holistic Nutritionist
Someone emailed me this link the other day: The Ten Most Toxic Cosmetics and sadly, it didn’t really surprise me. But the more I learn about the personal care products industry, the more I realize there is some shady business going on and it’s up to YOU, the consumer to know your products inside and out. This means, we must take personal responsibility for researching the products we use on a daily basis. Why?
- Because of the 10,500 ingredients developed in personal care products in the last 30 years, only about 13% of these have been tested for safety, according to the Environmental Working Group.
- Furthermore, of the 12,500 products tested, 80% of them contain the dirty dozen (most toxic chemicals), according to the David Suzuki Foundation. Here’s a list for you to check against all the products you use: Dirty Dozen in Cosmetics
- For example, most nail polishes contain the dirty trio of toluene, dibutyl phthalate, and formaldehyde — these ingredients can impair breathing and cause birth defects and cancer. Your hair shampoo can be a source of parabens, SLS which have been linked to hormonal disruption, hair dye ingredients linked to bladder cancer and the list goes on and on.
The good news in all this unfortunate information is that the power is in your hands, and in your wallet. Every single time you purchase certified organic or products you know do not contain the dirty dozen, you make a vote as a consumer for safer products. It’s important to put money in the hands of companies doing their job to keep you healthy and let’s not forget mama earth!
More good news! Before you think that it’s more expensive to use “clean” products, think again because in some cases, it actually far cheaper. I use a moisturizer that costs under $15. In fact, there are many amazingly “clean” products as I’m sure you’ve already seen in the 889 Yonge boutique. And further, there are foods that can keep your skin beautiful as well. So as I sign off here, I will share with you a few beauty tricks to gorgeous skin and hair from your kitch!
- Super-hydrating for the face: Take 1 ripe avocado and mash it up, smother all over your face. Leave on for 15-30 minutes.
- Acne-prone skin: Buy the highest quality kefir (fermented yogurt – get organic) and smear it on the affected area. The good bacteria will help to build your skin’s immunity and fight off bad bacteria that may be the culprit in your acne. Don’t do this if you have an allergy to dairy protein of course.
- Dry dull skin: Slather your whole body in organic coconut oil. You will be smooth as a baby’s bum. And it’s antibacterial too!
- Dry elbows, knees or heels: Smother extra-virgin oil on those dry bits.
- Frizzy, dry, flyaway hair: Put organic coconut oil on the tips of your lovely lockes. Or massage into your scalp and sleep with it overnight.
And lastly, check my joyous health website for foods that will create beauty from the inside out. I’ve got many delicious recipes right here: http://www.joyoushealth.ca/category/recipes/ and I just posted a gluten-free chewy chocolate chip cookie recipe: http://www.joyoushealth.ca/2011/12/05/gluten-free-chewy-chocolate-chip-cookies/.
Have a joyous day!