|1. BalanceFrom||2. Gaiam||3. TOPLUS|
Traveling and Yoga have been gaining popularity more than ever now. More people have started to acknowledge the benefits that these things can bring to our physical and mental health. While traveling, a gear like travel mat has some added advantages over a conventional mat.
Travel mats are usually lightweight and easily packable. Both of these factors make them very suitable during traveling. If you are going to buy a travel mat, then make sure to read out its specifications, just like any other product. And honestly, there are tons of choices in this genre to make you feel overwhelmed. To help you out of the situation, we have listed here fifteen best travel yoga mat that should be your companion on your next trip.
Top 15 Best Travel Yoga Mats 2019
1. BalanceFrom GoYoga Anti-tear Exercise Yoga Mat
This 71 inches long and 24-inch yoga wide mat is made for every shape and size of the human body. Here are some of the great features that make it one of the best travel yoga mats out there:
- The high-density foam material of the mat is very comfortable to rest your hips, knees, or elbows while practicing on a hard floor such as concrete.
- The yoga mat comes with anti-slip surfaces, which is a characteristic of any good yoga mats. Interestingly, both of its sides have anti-slip surfaces. These surfaces are quite helpful in preventing injuries that are highly possible if you practice without any protection.
- Another feature of this mat is its extra resilience to keep the yoga performer balanced during the complicated postures.
- The moisture resistance technology in use is another property to talk about. The conventional mats are not very washed friendly, to be honest.
- They soak up water and soap and take lots of time to dry. But the BalanceFrom GoYoga mat comes with moisture-resistant surfaces that make it very easy to clean with soap and water.
- This highly useful travel mat is very lightweight so that you won’t have to think about the need for any extra luggage allowance.
- The high resilience of the mat lets you perform all the advanced yoga practices without thinking about losing the balance.
- The manufacturer provides two years of warranty on the product.
- The mat comes with seven varieties in color.
- All the models come with adjustable straps for the convenience of carrying around.
- The mat quickly starts to wear and tear.
- The material of the product is not eco-friendly.
- The mat is a half-inch thick, a little more than the optimum thickness. It makes the folding of the mat a bit hard.
This is a good option for those who have budget constraints as the price is comparatively lower than other travel yoga mats.
2. Gaiam Yoga Mat For Yoga, Pilates And Floor Exercises
Gaiam Yoga mat is 68 inches long and 24 inches long, a size that will perfectly accommodate you during all the different yoga practices. It is only 6 mm thick, even thinner than the BalanceFrom GoYoga mat that we have just discussed. Here are some great features of the mat that has made it one of the fan favorites:
- The mat is perfectly thickened so that you do not get uncomfortable on your joints during the yoga practice. If we consider its vast size, it should be a bit heavy. But in reality, it is a very lightweight yoga mat to carry while traveling.
- The mats come with reversible, perfectly textured sticky surfaces for extra traction and grip. It ensures safety during all of your poses and helps you to align your body without any fear of slipping.
- The extensive collection of prints, including the mandala, sundial, and many others, will assist you in expressing yourself through your practice.
- These mats are very eco-friendly. When you are using the Gaiam Yoga mat, it is not only your body and soul towards which you are responsible; you are responsible for the environment also. The non-toxic and 6P free PVC yoga mats are favorable for you and the planet too. They are free of DBP, DEHP, BBP, DINP, DIDP, and DNOP.
- Each purchase of Gaiam Yoga Mat comes with a downloadable yoga workout session so that you can start your practices straightway.
- The handy mat comes with more than 25 designs to fit your mood.
- The mat has an optimum thickness of 6 mm that gives you both cushioning and the ease of folding it.
- The product does not come with a warranty.
- The mat gives away a bad smell during the first 2-3 days of use.
- The mat is not easy to clean.
Gaiam has over 25 years of experience in yoga mat manufacturing. This vast experience has enabled them to produce the best travel yoga mat available in the market.
3. Toplus Yoga Mat- Classic
The TOPLUS travel yoga mat is 72 inches long and 24 inches wide, perfect for every body shape and size. The thickness of the mat is set to 6 mm, which makes it easy to fold and at the same time, ensures comfort-ability to your body against any hard floor or irregularities on the surface. Here are a few more exciting features of the TOPLUS Yoga mat:
- The sticky non slip texture on both sides brings extra grip and traction between the mat surface and the floor. The mat does not slip on the wood floor, tile floor, or a cement floor. It helps the practitioner to produce and maintain the perfect alignment of the yoga form without any fear of slipping.
- The 6 mm thickness of the mat, along with its material, is the optimal combination for cushioning. It protects the joints and other parts of the body from all the discomfort while giving a proper grip on the surface.
- Conventional travel yoga mats are made of non-green PVC, NBR, and EVA materials, all of which are harmful to our environment. But the
- TOPLUS yoga mat is made of premium TPE friendly material, which makes it one of the best travel yoga mat.
- The TOPLUS yoga mat is double layered. It ensures more durability as compared to single-layered yoga mats.
- The mat is very lightweight (35oz). Hence, the mat is convenient to take from one place to another.
- The TOPLUS yoga mat comes with a year warranty on it.
- The mat is highly resistant to wear and tear.
- The mat has twelve design varieties, most of them radiating a fresh vibe to imitate the calmness of Yoga.
- The product is a bit expensive as it is made of TPE material.
- The product tends to curl on its own after some use. It becomes hard to keep it flat.
- The mat is difficult to clean. Even the everyday stains prove to be challenging to remove.
In case of any difficulty, you can always reach them via email. TOPLUS has been expanding its customer base and retaining the old ones through their 100% customer satisfaction oriented product and after-sale services.
4. Manduka Eko Superlite Yoga Travel Mat
It is a very well known company in the mat manufacturing market. With only 2.2 lbs, 68 inch length, and 24-inch breath, the Manduka eKO Superlite yoga travel mat is a large yet super lightweight travel yoga mat present in the market. The thickness is only 1.5 mm. The features that make it one of the best travel yoga mats are as follows:
- The surfaces of the Manduka eKO Superlite Yoga travel mat has an excellent grip on every type of floor. It makes it easy to attain some complicated and potentially dangerous postures during the yoga practice.
- The Manduka yoga mats are devoid of toxic PVC, plastics, or other harmful dyes. It is environment-friendly. It is made from the latex of natural rubber tree which does not do any harm to your skin. The rubber is also easily degradable.
- The mat has tightly woven scrim that resists any stretching or tearing on it.
- The lightweight of the mat makes it easily portable.
- The insanely thin yoga mat is elementary to fold and keep with your clothing.
- The mat is eco-friendly.
- The mat has a closed-cell surface, which makes it easy to clean.
- This thin mat does not provide a proper cushioning effect.
- It has a bad smell during the first few days of use.
- It is not suitable for hot yoga practices.
5. Toplus Yoga Travel Mat- Upgraded
This is the updated version of the classic version of the TOPLUS yoga travel mat. The enhanced yoga mat has the same size as its traditional version, i.e., 72-inch length, 24-inch breath, and an optimum 6 mm thickness. It has retained all the features of the classic model. Let’s go over them once again:
- The upgraded yoga mat weighs 37oz against the 35oz of the classic version. That means it is slightly overweight. However, it is still extremely lightweight and foldable to keep it in your regular bag and carry around without the feel of any extra load.
- The 6 mm thickness is the optimum thickness to provide enough cushioning effect during all the yoga practices. While practicing, your joints or knees won’t feel any discomfort, which is a characteristic of doing Yoga on hard surfaces.
- The TPE yoga mat surface is upgraded with an anti-slip texture designed such that it sticks to the surface beneath it and provides enough traction for taking seamless body alignments during the practice sessions. It has a double-layered structure for delivering the optimal grip without compromising comfort, making it one of the best travel yoga mats.
- The upgraded version of the mat is made of a material for which the patent is pending. It is an eco-friendly material, unlike PVC, plastic, or dyes used in conventional yoga mats. The TPE material has the advantage of technological improvement over traditional travel yoga mats.
- The product is eco-friendly.
- It does not give away any odor.
- The mat is easy to clean.
- The presence of a strap makes it easy to carry around.
- The travel mat comes with a one year guarantee.
- The mat is a bit pricey due to the TPE material.
- This product has some issues of a slippery surface, especially during hot yoga practices.
- The mat is not much wear-resistant.
Also, if you face any problem regarding the mat, then you can always seek the help of the TOPLUS customer service via email.
6. IUGA Eco-friendly Yoga Mat With Alignment Lines
In making this super travel yoga mat, IUGA took inspiration from the great yogis of the universe and built the mat based on the findings. The IUGA eco-friendly mat is 72 inches long and 26-inch width, dimensions that will accommodate any body size and shape. Following are the features that have put this IUGA yoga mat in our list of the best travel yoga mat:
- The IUGA eco-friendly travel yoga mat has an optimal thickness of 6 mm for the perfect cushioning and perfect weight balance. The cushioning effects support your knees and joints from all the discomfort-abilities that may come in your way while performing various forms of yoga practices. While doing so, it does not compromise on the grip that you need on the surface.
- The mat has reversible sticky non slip surfaces with cellular structures. It ensures that the mat gets an ample amount of grip on the surface. This is necessary to avoid slipping while performing difficult body alignments or “asanas” during the yoga practices.
- It has integrated alignment lines to help the user to maintain the perfect posture during the practice. It is beneficial while practicing alone, and there is no one to instruct.
- The mat is made of eco-friendly material instead of conventional dyes, plastic, or PVC.
- The mat is easy to clean. You can use any mild soap and water for cleaning purposes.
- The mat comes with adjustable carrying straps for added convenience.
- The customers also get a year warranty with every purchase of the IUGA eco-friendly travel yoga mat.
- The excellent IUGA customer service has awarded them a five-star rating from the users.
- The mat is very sensitive to heat and may get damaged in hot summer days.
- The mat is not suitable for hot yoga practices.
- The wear resistance of the mat is meager.
- It is not machine washable.
7. Gaiam Yoga Mat Folding Travel Fitness & Exercise Mat
Gaiam is an excellent manufacturer of yoga mats that are accessible at a very reasonable price. This is the second yoga mat from Gaiam that has made it to the list of the best travel yoga mat. The yoga mat is 68 inches long and 24 inches wide, a good fit for multipurpose exercise for every customer size. Following are the features that have made this mat note-worthy-
- The travel yoga mat easily folds into a compact 10 inch * 12-inch size, which makes it extremely convenient for traveling. Most of the mats (even some travel yoga mats) are designed to be rolled, but this one is specially made to fold. The mat is perforated for the same purpose. There are also some markings to guide you while folding.
- The mat has a sticky non slip structure on its surface so that you won’t have to worry about slipping on the hard floor while performing the sophisticated yoga practices. The firm grip between the mat and the floor will take care of your stability.
- The yoga mat comes with various patterns on the surface, such as the mandala design to attract the customer. You can choose a model that resonates with your energy.
- The perforated lines are intended to help in folding the mat are also used as alignment lines for practicing. It helps the user to align the hands and legs during the practice correctly. It is quite helpful when there is no instructor to guide you.
- This Gaiam yoga mat is eco-friendly as none of the harmful dyes, plastic, or PVC is used in its manufacturing.
- The weight of the mat is only 1 lb, making it one of the lightest travel yoga mats available in the market.
- The price is reasonable and affordable.
- The surface gets slippery when the user starts to sweat during the practice.
- After some use, the mat stops to remain flat.
- The mat lacks a proper cushioning effect for your joints and knees.
- The mat is not favorable for a hot climate.
8. Jade Travel Yoga Mat
Jade is one of the two most popular yoga mat producers in the market, along with Manduka. Most of the yoga studios prefer Jade yoga mat only. The mat only weighs only 1.5 lbs. Now, check out some of its unique features:
- The Jade travel yoga mat is excellent for yogis on the go. The mat can be folded to a tiny size and carry around in your backpack, suitcase, or carry-on. It gives you the freedom to continue your practice everywhere you go.
- All the mats are manufactured in the United States of America, where they give extra care for the quality of the mat. The manufacturers have total control over the manufacturing material and the process that ensures the quality of the product to make it one of the best travel yoga mat.
- Natural rubber is used in the manufacturing of this Jade travel yoga mat. The natural rubber has more traction and grip on surfaces than any other synthetic rubber or plastic. It eliminates the possibility of slipping while practicing your “asanas.” With these mats, you won’t have to worry about hurting yourself.
- Jade plants a tree for every sell on their mats collection.
- You have four color choices in the mat, viz. purple, black, midnight blue, and olive.
- The Jade travel yoga mat is extremely lightweight and substantial to make it’s carrying nothing but convenient.
- It is one of the stickiest mats available in the market, making it convenient for practicing.
- The mat is very high maintenance.
- Exposure to the Sun can lead to discoloration of the mat.
- The mat is very pricy.
- Due to extreme stickiness, it gets terrible while sweating.
9. Youphoria Yoga Mat
This yoga mat is another good option to go for in case you are looking for a travel yoga mat. The mat is 72 inches long and 24 inches wide, which can practically accommodate any human beings. The thickness of the mat is 6 mm, and it weighs 2.5 lbs. The mat comes in two colors- cobalt and amethyst. Now, let’s look at some of the features of this mat:
- The yoga mat has liquid absorbent and antimicrobial instilled in it. It means that you won’t need a yoga towel to sweep off the sweat. This feature comes handy while doing asanas like Vinyasa, Ashtanga, and some other hot yoga forms.
- The intense grip and anti-slip properties of this travel mat ensure that you remain in your intended place no matter where and how you perform your yoga practice. You can align your body just the way you want it. There is no scope for any inconvenience scrubbings.
- This Yoga mat is made of natural rubber for eco-friendly issues. In most of the mats made of rubber, there exists some obnoxious rubbery smell.
- But you won’t find that in this yoga mat.
- The cleaning process for the Youphoria mat involves straightforward steps. You will have to wipe it with warm water after every use and let it dry. Body oil stains due to body lotions can also be easily removed by the use of warm water and mild soap.
- This mat comes with a strap so that you can conveniently carry it wherever you go.
- The mat is highly durable due to its high-density material. The product will not fail quickly under any circumstances.
- The mat is suitable for hot yoga practices.
- The optimal thickness of the mat provides the necessary cushioning effect during practice sessions.
- It does not have any odor like some yoga mats.
- The mat cannot be washed in a washing machine.
- It does not have many varieties.
- Oil stains from body lotions can be cleaned easily, but it discolors the surface.
With all the great features that we have mentioned above, the Youphoria yoga mat surely is one of the best travel yoga mats in the market.
10. Matymats Non-slip TPE Yoga Mat
Just like most of the travel yoga mats that we have discussed in this article, this Matymats travel yoga mat is also 72 inches in length, 24 inches in-breath, and 6 mm in thickness. This comfortable Matymats yoga mats will assist you in keeping your focus intact during the yoga practice. Its features include:
- This mat is made of Thermoplastic Elastomer or TPE, a patented material that is hypoallergenic. Also, this elastomer is biodegradable. The mat does not let out the pungent smells that are produced during the sweaty yoga sessions. The absence of rubber in the mat eliminates the possibility of a rubbery smell from it.
- The Matymats yoga mats with an optimum thickness of 6 mm are highly resilient and showcase the cushioning effect. Cushioning will help you against the discomfort of practicing on hard floors. This best travel yoga mat won’t let your joints or the knees to feel any pain.
- The mats are double layered with two different colors on each layer. The layers contain unique patterns to provide anti-skid surface and high sticky performance. That will let you take any posture you want without any hesitation. With these mats, you can entirely focus on your practice rather than the distracting movements of inefficient mats or yoga towels.
- The cleaning of the mat is also straightforward. You will need to clean it with pure soap and water once a week. Then just let it dry in the open air.
- The mat is 100% PVC and plastic-free, which contributes to environmental protection.
- The TPE material does not give any odor like the rubber mats.
- It is very light weighted and pleasant looking.
- Quickly dries after hot yoga sessions.
- The mat becomes brittle during hot conditions.
- The hands and the feet do not correctly stick to the surface of the mat.
- The mat is a bit expensive.
11. Yoga Design Lab
These travel mats from Yoga design lab has unique patterns among all the yoga travel mats. These mats can be considered as a hybrid of a yoga mat and a yoga towel. Following are the features that make it the best travel yoga mat in the market:
- The hybrid yoga mat eliminates the need for carrying a mat and a towel to the practice. The Yoga design travel yoga mats are known for their low rate of slipping or subsequent injuries. This is due to the anti-slip surfaces of the products which hold firmly to every surface that you decide to do your yoga practice.
- The yoga mat also incorporates the essential cushioning effect so that you can entirely focus on your “asanas” without any obstruction or discomfort to the knees, joints, or your hip.
- The mat brings microfiber (made of recycled plastic) together with a natural rubber base in its structure. It gives the sweaty grip of yoga towels along with the grip of a yoga mat.
- This luxurious yoga mat does not have any odor, which is a problem for so many yoga mats.
- The Yoga design lab travel mat is also elementary to clean. You can use an organic mat spray and towel to make it clean. Another unique feature is that it can be machined washed, unlike most of the other travel yoga mats. While machine washing, take care to put detergent only.
- The mat is very lightweight with 2.4 lbs. This makes it easy to carry around wherever you go.
- Also, the large mat can be easily folded to small dimensions, so that you can fill it in your backpack or carry-on bag.
- The product can be washed in a machine.
- The price is comparatively higher than other mats.
- The super sticky rubber base takes up a lot of dust from the floor.
- Not suitable for hot yoga practices.
12. Yogionthego Travel Yoga Mat
It offers the perfect blend of sweat-wicking practice and pack-ability in their travel yoga mats so that you have the focus wherever you go. This yoga mat is specialized for Bikram and other hot yoga practices. The 71 inches long and 24-inch wide yoga mat is large enough to accommodate any human. The thickness is only 1 mm, and it weighs 2.5 lbs. The unique features of the mat include:
- The soft fabric of the mat holds on the hands and feet during the sweating hours of hot yoga practices. It does not get sticky, but grips even more than before as it gets wet.
- The mat is produced while keeping the need for portability in mind. The lightweight mat can be easily folded to a tiny version of itself and kept inside a suitcase or your backpack. That makes this mat convenient for retreats or long-duration travels.
- This yoga mat does not stink like so many other yoga mats. The special waterproof layer present in the mat forms a hygienic barrier so that it can keep the odor or the bacteria away, making it one of the best travel yoga mats.
- The mat features a moisture activated microfiber layer at one side and a natural rubber base on the other side. This yoga mat does not fade away or tear like plastic yoga mats.
- This yoga mat also showcases high anti-slip property. It is essential during hot yoga practices as the palm, and the feet get sweaty. At that time, the chances of slipping are high. But the anti-slip feature of the mat will keep you in place.
- It is one of the very few yoga mats in the market that is suitable for hot yoga sessions.
- This yoga mat is machine washable, unlike many of the travel yoga mats that are available in the market.
- It prevents the spread of any odor.
- Not very expensive when you consider its plethora of features.
- The mat weighs too much for a travel yoga mat.
- The mat is sticky only when the user sweats. Otherwise, it is not sticky enough.
- The product cannot be machine washed.
13. IGUA Yoga Mat Non Slip Textured Surface
This is the second mat from IGUA that is in the list of the best travel yoga mat available in the market. The mat has the standard dimension of 72-inch length, 24-inch width, and 6 mm thickness. Without further ado, let’s check out its features-
- This mat from IGUA is made of Thermoplastic Elastomer, a new technological advancement in the conventional yoga mat industry. It does not contain any of the harmful dyes, plastics, or PVC. The elastomer is recyclable and also biodegradable.
- The mat has specially designed anti-slip surfaces on both sides. It will help you to perform any posture you want without the fear of slipping. The covers have a unique “bone” like structure that assists in holding the hands and legs in position.
- As it is made of TPE material, hence it does not have the odor of rubber. TPE does not have any strong smell.
- The mat is very light in weight, weighing only 2 lbs. It also has a thickness of 6 mm that gives the perfect cushioning effect to your knees, hips, and joints.
- The mat has straps added to it. Hence, the mat is convenient to take from one place to another.
- The mat has no odor.
- The mat is easily foldable to a smaller size, and you can keep it as a part of your clothing set.
- The mat is known for its durability.
- The TPE material becomes brittle when exposed to the sun or any heat.
- Although the producer claims it to be anti-slip for any posture, customers have some issues of slippery surface.
- The mat does not become evenly flat on the surface.
14. TOPLUS 1/16 Inch Travel Yoga Mat
This is the third product of TOPLUS in this list of travel yoga mats. Like the first two TOPLUS products, this one also is loaded with numerous features. Let’s discuss them one by one:
- The thickness of this TOPLUS travel mat is only 1.5 mm. The mats with less thickness have the benefit that they can be very easily folded and taken away inside a bag. This mat is also very easily foldable. Also, you do not need any extra space in your container to carry this mat because you will be getting a bag along with the mat itself.
- This travel yoga mat is made of natural suede. Due to that, when you will sweat during hot yoga practice, the mat will show more sticky behavior.
- At the same time, it will grip your palms and feet more, which will prevent you from slipping.
This travel yoga mat does not contain any toxic material such as PVC or dye. Hence you can use it with confidence, without harming your skin even a bit.
- Both sides of this TOPLUS travel yoga mat shows anti-skid properties. This is particularly important during hot Yoga and when you are taking a complicated posture. The anti-skid properties will hold you in your position so that you can focus on your practice.
- This yoga mat works as a two in one solution. You can use it for Yoga while traveling alone and also for other public yoga sessions.
- This mat comes with a one year warranty for free replacement or full refund.
- The mat is charming looking that radiates positive energy during practice sessions.
- It does not provide enough cushioning effect for the joints and knees.
- The mat is comparatively heavy.
- It has an annoying rubbery smell.
15. TOPLUS Eco-friendly Yoga Mat (PVC Material)
This is another excellent addition to the list of the best travel yoga mat, and that too from the same company, TOPLUS. This mat is 64 inches long (Others were 72 inches long), 24 inches wide, and 6 mm thick. Its features are:
- This travel yoga mat is made of high-quality PVC material with anti-skid effects on both sides of the yoga mat. It enables the mat to have more traction and a firm grip over the surface it is lying on. Now, you can do all your yoga practices without any fear of falling over.
- The 6 mm thickness is the optimum thickness for a travel mat. It is thick enough to provide the necessary cushion to your knees and joints against the discomfort of the hard surface. The 6 mm thickness is also thin enough to fold the mat easily so that you can carry it around with ease.
- The PVC material is not as toxic as other manufacturing materials, such as plastics or dyes.
- This TOPLUS yoga mat comes in ten different color forms. You can choose a mild color to give you a sense of calmness during your practices or go for a vibrant color that will bring some more energy within you, for performing the workout.
- The PVC material does not give away odor like natural rubber
- This travel yoga mat comes with a one year warranty for free replacement or full refund.
- The mat is easy to clean.
- The presence of the strap makes it easy to carry around.
- PVC material is not biodegradable.
- The mat does not have a good grip for your hands or feet.
- It cannot be washed in a machine.
- It is not suitable for hot yoga practice.
FAQs Related To Travel Yoga Mat
1. Can I Use A Regular Yoga Mat As A Travel Yoga Mat?
Ans: Yes, you can. But it won’t be lightweight and foldable, which are the most sought after features for any travel gear.
2. Can Travel Yoga Mat Work As Good As A Regular Yoga Mat?
Ans: Yes, it can. The entire travel yoga mat we have mentioned here comes with anti-slip surfaces. Also, some of them are optimum for hot yoga practices.
3. What Is The Optimal Thickness For A Travel Yoga Mat?
Ans: The yoga mats with 6 mm thickness are regarded as the best ones due to its cushioning and foldability.
4. Are The Travel Yoga Mats Eco-friendly?
Ans: Travel yoga mats that are made of PVC, plastic, or dyes are not eco- friendly as they are not easily degradable. But the ones made with natural rubber or TPE are eco- friendly.
5. Are The Travel Yoga Mats Machine Washable?
Ans: Most of the travel yoga mats are not machine washable. However, there are exceptions, such as YogiOnTheGo and Yoga Design Lab’s travel yoga mats, which makes them two of the best travel yoga mat in the market.
6. Which Travel Yoga Mat Is Suitable For Hot Yoga?
Ans: YogiOnTheGo travel yoga mats and TOPLUS 1/16 inch travel yoga mats are highly effective for hot yoga practices.
Best Travel Yoga Mat – What’s your pick?
These are the best travel yoga mat that you can find in the market right now. To choose the best option, you will need to consider your budget and the availability of the properties that you want. And finally, try to go for a more eco-friendly option.